Frequently Asked Questions

  • Are sex offenders allowed to be around children?

    As far as the sex offender registry is concerned, yes. The only time sex offenders are not allowed to be around children is if it is a stipulation of their probation or parole.

  • Are sex offenders allowed to utilize social media websites?

    Yes, sex offenders are allowed to utilize social media websites unless the individual has parole stipulations that state otherwise. However, all social media websites being utilized must be reported by the offenders.

  • Are sex offenders, allowed to have guns or leave the state?

    A convicted Felon – to include a Registered Sex Offender convicted of a Felony – is not allowed to be in possession of a firearm. A sex offender must notify the jurisdiction of County Sheriff, State Agency, or Metropolitan Police Department that manages that registrant’s sex offender registry of his or hers intent to leave the state prior to their departure. For a Sexual Violent Predator this is (3) days and for a Sex Offender this (7) days. That registrant must also notify the reciprocating agency, as well, upon his or her arrival.

    For more information click HERE.

  • Are the blue lights on some vehicles legal? The bright lights on new cars blind me!

    Indiana code specifically states that a person who is not a member of a volunteer fire department may not display an illuminated blue light on a vehicle. Many modern vehicles increasingly use HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps, which project a bluish hue as part of their normal operation. Factory installed HID headlamps are approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation for highway use and do not violate state law.

    HID headlamps are superior to traditional halogen lamps in terms of visibility. The lamps come from the factory pre-focused and adjusted not to shine above a certain height (thus reducing the chances of blinding an oncoming motorist). Since the full energy of the light is so precisely focused, under certain circumstances a vehicle equipped with HID lights can subject an approaching motorist to glare. This typically occurs only when the approaching motorist is lower than oncoming vehicle equipped with HID headlights (such as at the crest of a hill).

    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is studying the issue of HID headlight glare. You may wish to direct your concerns to their website at

  • Are the warrants listed on this website current or does it include old ones as well?

    The warrants on this website should be limited to those that are still active. However, there have been infrequent cases where a warrant that is no longer active has been listed on this website. That is one reason why this list should only serve as a preliminary tool in checking for active warrants and that no warrant can be served solely based on it being listed here.

  • Are there restrictions regarding the employment of sex offenders?

    Yes, there are. Sex offenders are not permitted to obtain employment that involves being on school, daycare, or park property.

  • Can I do my Community Service wherever I want?

    Not without a judge’s approval. If you do go somewhere on your own and perform community service, the Sheriff’s Office will not provide you with any credit or documentation. Most judges will only accept a Community Service Completion Paper from the Sheriff’s Office.

  • Can I drive a golf cart on the roadway?

    Indiana Code 9-21-8-57 prohibits a golf cart or Off-Road Vehicle (ATV) from operating on the roadway unless the city or county having jurisdiction has adopted an ordinance to specifically permit this.

    Vanderburgh County Ordinance 10.60 does permit an Off-Road Vehicle to be operated on the certain county roadways, but a golf cart is not considered an Off-Road vehicle as defined by IC 14-8-2-185 or the county ordiance. Neither the City of Evansville nor Vanderburgh County has adopted any ordinace that permits a golf cart to be operated on any roadway within Vanderburgh County. Operating a golf cart on the roadway is punishable as a Class C Infraction.

    Whether having sheriff’s deputies take time to enforce Indiana’s golf cart law is a good use of resources is a fair question. Deputies often have more pressing duties that would tend to take priority over writing a golf cart operator a ticket. While enforcement of the criminal code and more serious traffic violations does take priority, our deputies are sworn to take appropriate enforcement action whenever they observe a violation of any law. That action could include a verbal warning, a written warning or traffic citation.

    While the Sheriff’s Office has no plans for any coordinated enforcement effort against the operation of golf carts on Vanderburgh County roadways, our deputies will not ignore violations and will take appropriate enforcement action when warranted.

  • Can I find out an inmate's sentence and if so, how?

    Sentence information is available from the County Clerk’s Office.

  • Can I ride an ATV, 4-wheeler, dirt bike, or another all-terrain off-road vehicle on the roadway?

    Please visit the Off-Road Vehicle section of our website for more information.

  • Can I sign out property from an inmate?

    With approval of the on-duty supervisor, keys and money may be signed out at any hour of the day Monday through Sunday. Inmates must approve a request to sign out money to an immediate family member. The on-duty Shift Supervisor will take other subsequent requests of signing out money to a non-family member on a case-by-case basis.

    A computer printed receipt shall include the amount of money to be signed out, who is receiving the money, their relationship to the inmate, and the inmate’s signature. The inmate’s signature is required to show his approval of the transaction. Inmates shall be permitted to sign out money only once per incarceration. Inmates shall not be permitted to transfer money to another inmate in the Vanderburgh County Sheriff Confinement Center.

    Any general property, other than one set of clothing and a form of identification, may be signed out on Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM.

    Inmates who are being transferred to the Indiana Department of Corrections will designate who will pick up their excess property at the time of their transfer. These individuals may pick up DOC property on Monday through Sunday from 8:00 PM– 4:00 PM. When excess property is released, all property is included with the exception of identification, which is transferred with the inmate to Indiana Department of Corrections.

  • Can inmates receive messages to call family members?

    In general no. However, in the case of a family emergency or other significant exigent circumstance, a family member may contact the jail and ask that the important message be relayed. The decision to relay the message is up to the discretion of the jail staff.

    For more information click HERE.

  • Can someone other than a law enforcement officer carry a Taser?

    The answer is yes, with some restrictions. To understand Indiana’s “Taser” law (IC 35-47-8) let’s review the terminology used by the state legislature that defines what an energy weapon is.

    Indiana recognizes three types of energy weapons:

    • Stun Gun: Mechanism that delivers a shock equal to but not in excess of (5) milliamps at sixty (60) hertz.
    • Electronic Stun Weapon: Mechanism that delivers a shock in excess of five (5) milliamps at sixty (60) hertz.
    • Taser: Mechanism that delivers a shock by means of a projectile.

    Indiana’s Handgun Law (IC 35-47-2) applies to Electronic Stun Weapons and Tasers, but not to Stun Guns.

    If you want to carry a Taser or Electronic Stun Weapon in public, you must have a handgun permit.  If you are a convicted felon, you cannot possess a Taser or Electronic Stun Weapon.  No one under 18 year of age may possess any type of energy weapon.

  • Do you accept personal sharps containers for proper disposal?

    We do not accept sharps or liquids. Please click HERE for more information about our drug drop box.

  • How can I buy commissary for an inmate?

    Money may be deposited to an inmate’s commissary account via the KIOSK system located in the jail lobby (available 24 hours a day), by visiting, or by calling 1-866-394-0490.

    Money orders, cash or checks may not be mailed to an inmate.

  • How can I find out if a person has a valid handgun permit in the state of Indiana?

    Indiana Code 35-47-2-3(m) and 35-47-2-3(l) prohibit law enforcement agencies from publicly disclosing the personally identifiable information of handgun permit holders.  The actual status of a handgun permit (e.g. valid or revoked) can only be released by the Indiana State Police Firearms Section.  While handgun permit status information is made available to our office for criminal justice purposes, the information is not part of our records system.  Please visit the Indiana State Police Firearms Section online at:

  • How can I find out if a person is in jail?

    Our website provides live access to a list of everyone that is currently in jail. You can check by clicking here: INMATE LOOKUP.

  • How can I find out if I am on an inmate’s visitation list?

    We do not disclose this information over the phone, only in person and with a valid picture ID.

  • How can I find out if someone is in the confinement center and what their bond amount is?

    A roster of current inmates along with their current charges and bond amounts is available on this website by clicking here.

  • How can I find out the condition of the roads when traveling?

    During extreme weather, you can monitor the VCSO Twitter Feed for local travel conditions or the State of Indiana’s County Travel Status site.

    For Indiana Road conditions, you can call 1-800-261-7623 or check the INDOT web site. For Kentucky, you can check the KTC website, and for Illinois, go to the IDOT website.

  • How do I find out if an inmate has made bond and is out of jail?

    The easiest way to find out if someone is still in jail is by checking here on the website at INMATE LOOKUP. If they are not listed, they are no longer in jail.

    If someone is in jail and you want to be notified when the person is released or moved to another facility you can sign up for notifications. You can find instructions hereunder VICTIM NOTIFICATION (you do not need to be a victim to sign up).

  • How do I find out if I have a case or a charge against me?

    Please visit us at the Vanderburgh County Confinement Center or at the Sheriff’s Command Post.  One of our staff members will be happy to assist you in researching the issue.

  • How do I find out the date of someone's arrest?

    If the person is still in jail, you can check the Inmate Lookup. If they are no longer in jail, you will need to make a Public Records Request to obtain the information you are seeking.

  • How do I find out when a particular inmate is being transferred to another facility?

    In order to maintain facility safety and security, this type of information is not disclosed.

  • How do I get a handgun permit?

    Please complete the Indiana State Police handgun permit application online at:

  • How do I get married while I am incarcerated at the Vanderburgh County Confinement Center?

    A family member, the inmate’s attorney or the significant other must facilitate all the required paperwork. The Judge overseeing the inmate’s case and the Jail Commander must first approve (to ensure there are no safety or security issues). If the Judge agrees, a court order may be issued stating the date and time the inmate is to be transported. The family members or significant other must check to make sure the clerk’s office has an open time to conduct the marriage. The family members or significant other must give the Jail Commander notice so that he can make sure officers are prepared to transport and provide security at the clerk’s office when the marriage is to be conducted. Any fees required (i.e.: marriage license) are paid through the clerk’s office.

  • How do I obtain a protective order?

    The Vanderburgh County Legal Aid Society maintains a webpage that fully explains the process of obtaining a protective order.

    Click here to be taken to the Legal Aid Society website.

  • How do I obtain a VIN check? I need to title and register a vehicle I purchased out of state.

    Indiana requires that vehicles purchased out of state must have a VIN inspection performed before the vehicle can be titled and registered with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). The Sheriff’s Office performs this service free of charge. If the vehicle is parked or stored within Vanderburgh County (but outside the corporate limits of Evansville), the Sheriffs’ Office will respond to your location and perform a VIN check. Simply call 911 and request a VIN check.

    Alternatively, if the vehicle is operable and equipped with a valid temporary license plate or paper tag, you may bring the vehicle to the Sheriff’s Command Post for inspection. No appointment is necessary. The Sheriff’s Office will perform this service regardless of your city or county of residence.

  • How do I pay a traffic fine?

    County Clerk’s Office, 812-435-5160

  • How do I post bond to get someone out of Vanderburgh County Confinement Center?

    The person who is posting the bond must have a state-issued photo ID as well as the exact amount of the bond in cash or credit card. The credit card being used must belong to the person who is posting the bond. There is a non-refundable convenience charge on payments made with credit cards, based on the amount of the bond.

    Bonds must be posted at the Clerk’s offices at the Vanderburgh County Courthouse on Monday through Thursday between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM and Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. After normal business hours, the sheriff’s office will conduct off-hour bonding on behalf of the County Clerk’s Office on Monday through Friday between 4:30 PM and 2:00 AM and on Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 AM to 2:00 AM.

  • How do I register my firearm?

    Indiana law does not require you to register your firearm.  If you purchase a firearm from a firearms dealer, the firearm will be registered to you in the federal database.  If you decide to sell the firearm at a later date, the Sheriff’s Office recommends you transfer the firearm through a federally licensed gun dealer (FFL) so that the database is updated to reflect the change in ownership.

  • How do I send an inmate mail?

    Inmates are generally allowed to receive standard-sized mail via the United States Postal Service. Click here for more details.

  • How do you get a writ or warrant taken care of?

    If it is a felony criminal warrant, you can turn yourself into the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office. If it is a misdemeanor warrant, you can turn yourself into the Sheriff’s Office or you can contact the County Clerk and ask that you have yourself added to the appropriate court’s calendar and appear as directed. If it is a writ, you can make arrangements with the entity that has had the writ issued or you can make arrangements with the County Clerk to have yourself added to the appropriate court’s calendar and appear as directed.

  • How often are sex offenders required to register?

    There are different classifications of sex offenders. Sex offenders and offenders against children are required to register one time annually. Sexually violent predators are required to register every 90 days. All classifications of sex offenders are required to report any change of address, employment, or school within 72 hours of making the change.

  • How old are the warrants on this site, and are all of them still active?

    All warrants appearing on this site were active at the time they were published and they are published periodically throughout each day. Therefore, they cannot be confirmed from this website. All warrants must be confirmed for validity by the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office.

    Warrants on this site may be a few minutes old and more than a decade old. In general, a warrant will remain active until it is served or called by the issuing court.

  • How recent are the warrant lists?

    The warrants on this website are generally current within the last few hours. No warrant can be considered valid from this website without direct confirmation by the Sheriff’s Office.

  • I am having difficultly with the inmate phone service, who do I contact to address my issue?

    Securus Technologies can be reached at (800) 844-6591 or by visiting them online at

  • I am on probation in a state other than Indiana. While visiting Indiana I have to submit to an alcohol breath test, can I get this done in Vanderburgh County?

    It is possible. Arrangements may be made with the Vanderburgh County Probation Department. Additionally, if the circumstances are appropriate, with coordination with the court overseeing your probation and for a fee, you may be able to submit to your breath tests at the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office – Community Corrections Section.

  • I came to the Sheriff’s Office and Police Department to pass along some narcotics information, but no narcotics detectives were there. Can you give me the address for the narcotics unit? I have information that I don’t want to discuss over the phone.

    The offices of the Joint Narcotics Task Force (JTF) are not located within a publically accessible location. If you leave a message at either the Sheriff’s Office or the Police Department, one of our detectives will contact you.

  • I cannot afford an attorney - lawyer, is there somewhere I can get assistance?

    Legal Aid Society of Evansville (Vanderburgh County Only): Telephone: 812.435.5173

    The Legal Aid Society of Evansville serves low-income residents of Vanderburgh County in most areas of civil law. Residents may apply by telephone from 8:00 to 11:30 a.m. on weekdays or apply in person during business hours.

    Indiana Legal Services (Counties Outside of Vanderburgh) Telephone: 800.852.3477 or 812.426.1295

    ILS serves low-income residents throughout Southwestern Indiana in most areas of civil law. They focus on housing, public benefits, and domestic violence-related divorces. Residents may apply by telephone on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.

    Volunteer Lawyer Program of Southwestern Indiana (VLP)
    (Pro Bono Services for Entire Region)
    Intake: Legal Aid Society or Indiana Legal Services
    Clients seeking pro bono services should be directed to the Legal Aid Society or ILS for intake and referral. VLP has no intake function.Last Updated: February 04, 2014

  • I live in another county. Can I do my Community Service in my home County?

    This is a matter for the court to decide. The Sheriff’s Office cannot authorize you to perform community service at another location.

  • I need help locating an attorney/lawyer?

    Lawyer Referral Service of the EBA (LRS) Telephone: 812.426.1712

    The EBA’s Lawyer Referral Service provides referrals to local attorneys in specific practice areas for fee services.

  • I need to move a large yard barn or another wide load on a county road, does this require a permit?

    Vanderburgh County does not presently have an ordinance that regulates wide loads. No permit would be required as long as the route does not traverse a state-maintained highway. Since most routes through the county will necessitate at least crossing a state-maintained highway, a state permit would be required for a load that exceeds any one of the following dimensions: 8 feet 6 inches wide or 13 feet 6 inches tall or 53 feet long.

    Permits may be obtained from the Motor Carrier Services Division Permit Unit of the Indiana Department of Revenue. Click here for more information.

  • I recently moved from one location within the State of Indiana to another and I have an Indiana gun permit. Do I need to notify anyone of my address change?

    Yes. You should notify the Indiana State Police – Gun Permit Unit within 60 days of the address change. You can contact them using this link, CLICK HERE.

    You can also use that form to request a duplicate copy of your gun permit.Last Updated: March 20, 2015

  • I visit the Civic Center frequently for business and would like to know if and how a person can get security clearance to enter the building?

    If you are a frequent visitor to the Civic Center, you may qualify for Enhanced Security Credentials for use in entering the building. This link for the APPLICATION will take you to a downloadable PDF file. Please download, read carefully and submit as directed.

  • I was approved for enhanced security credentials for the Civic Center previously, do I need to reapply every year?

    Yes. Enhanced security credentials are only valid for the year they were approved and an application must be completed annually. This is regardless of whether it is paid for business purposes or fee waived because of a board appointment or other government-related reasons. The APPLICATION is available on line.

  • I was arrested and the police seized my money. Can I get it back?

    The money that was seized may be forfeited, which is a totally separate process from your criminal charges. You will be notified by the Courts of a date and time to appear.  At that time a Judge will determine if the money will be returned. 

  • I would love to see a Sobriety Checkpoint set up near my house.

    The Sheriff’s Office is restricted by an Indiana Supreme Court ruling that prevents a Sobriety Checkpoint from being set up without sufficient basis. The location of a Sobriety Checkpoint must be based on empirical evidence and relevant statistics.

    In 1990, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that, if conducted properly, Sobriety Checkpoints do not constitute an illegal search and seizure. In 2002, the Indiana Supreme Court ruled in the case of State v. Gerschoffer, finding Sobriety Checkpoints are constitutional when properly conducted. The Supreme Court set out a series of restrictions which provided Indiana law enforcement with a clear guide as to how Sobriety Checkpoints must be conducted.

    While there are certainly rural areas of the county where drunk driving does occur; crime and crash statistics for those areas do not typically provide sufficient justification to allow for a Sobriety Checkpoint. For this reason, Sobriety Checkpoints are typically conducted within the city limits where higher concentrations of hit and run crashes are found. The Sheriff’s Office often conducts Sobriety Checkpoints jointly with the Evansville Police Department and the Indiana State Police. Federal grant dollars are used to pay deputies overtime to work the checkpoints, so no deputies are being “taken” or “pulled” from their normal patrol duties.

    Because the Sheriff’s Office primarily patrols those areas of the county outside the city limits, our deputies routinely make drunk driving arrests in rural areas. If you are having an issue with intoxicated motorists outside the city limits or suspect one of our local drinking establishments is “over serving” patrons, send us a TIP (which can be submitted anonymously).

  • If I feel a gun owner is unstable or has threatened to unlawfully use a handgun, can a gun owner lose their handgun permit (if they have one)?

    If you feel an individual possess a threat to himself or others, please call 911 immediately so that the Sheriff’s Office can investigate. If the individual holds a handgun permit and is found to have a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct, then the Sheriff’s Office will notify the Indiana State Police Firearms Section and request a permit revocation hearing. The Sheriff’s Office will also take whatever immediate action is necessary to protect the individual or others from harm.

  • If my teenage son is at an event where underage drinking is taking place, can he get in trouble if he does not drink? What are the laws for possession of alcohol by minors?

    Indiana law makes it a misdemeanor offense for an individual (regardless of age) to knowingly or intentionally visit a location where alcoholic beverages are being sold to minors.  This would include a location that merely charges an entrance fee or “cover” and then provides alcoholic beverages to minors inside. If your son were merely present at a location where minors were consuming alcohol (but not paying to attend the event) and he himself was not consuming alcohol, he would not likely face any charges.

    Under Indiana law, no one under the age of 21 can possess, consume or transport an alcoholic beverage.  The law does make some provisions to allow an individual over the age of 19 to sell alcoholic beverages at a licensed premises.  Additionally, Indiana law grants limited immunity to minors who call 911 to report an alcohol related health emergency.

    Any venue (be it a nightclub or a friend’s basement) that permits a teenager to drink is not acting in the best interest of the teen.  Study upon study has demonstrated a correlation between underage drinking and increased health risks.  Academic performance suffers and increased risk-taking (such as drunk driving, fighting, and sexual activity) often occurs.  Teenagers who abuse alcohol become young adults who abuse alcohol.

Quick Links

Send Us a Tip

Recent News

Deputies pursue stolen vehicle

DATE: November 29, 2023 SUBJECT: Deputies pursue stolen vehicle RELEASE NUMBER: 2023-NR-1129 CONTACT: Lt. Brian Traylor AUTHORITY: Sheriff Noah Robinson Deputies received...

read more