How to Apply for a Handgun Permit
* Paper applications are not accepted.
Step 1 – Application
- You must go online and fill out an application.
- When completing the application, you must specify the agency you are applying through. If you live in Vanderburgh County, (outside the city limits) select Vanderburgh County Sheriffs Office. If you live inside the corporate city limits, select Evansville City Police. Note that selecting the wrong agency may delay the application process. If you are uncertain of your residence, you may call 436-7956 or 421-6360 to clarify.
Step 2 – Fingerprints
- Call 877-472-6917 to make an appointment for fingerprinting.
- The station for printing is L-1 at 2512 Waterbridge Way, located behind Grandy’s on First Ave.
- You must pay L-1 a fingerprinting fee.
- Contact our Gun Permit Clerk at 812-421-6360 to make an appointment to verify address and application.
Once the application has been approved and fingerprints and application have been submitted, processing time should be approximately 1 to 2 weeks.
You may be declined a handgun permit for any of the following reasons:
- If you have ever committed a felony.
- If your record shows a propensity for violence.
- If you have a history of domestic violence.
- If you have a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
- If you have threatened law enforcement officers with violence.
The State also reserves the right to revoke any license that has been issued if you are convicted of any felony or if any of the above apply after your license has been issued.
DATE: September 05, 2023 SUBJECT: Wanted Felon who fled from Deputies arrested in Panama City Beach, Florida RELEASE NUMBER: 2023-NR-0922 CONTACT: Major Matt Corn AUTHORITY:...
DATE: September 05, 2023 SUBJECT: Driver from Fatal I-69 Crash Arrested RELEASE NUMBER: 2023-NR-0905 CONTACT: Sheriff Noah Robinson AUTHORITY: Sheriff Noah Robinson On...