1. Be at least 18 years of age at time of hire.
2. Possess a valid driver’s license or be able to obtain an Indiana driver’s license prior to employment.
3. No felony convictions.
4. High school diploma or GED
5. No convictions* for hate crimes.
6. No convictions* for domestic violence.
7. No dishonorable discharges from any branch of military service.
8. Applicants who have tattoos on the exposed areas of the neck, face/head or hands (excludes wedding bands) shall be a disqualifier for employment. It is also understood that certain tattoos which may be related to hate speech, gang activity or subversive groups are prohibited.
9. It shall always be the policy of the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office (VCSO) that any conduct or affiliations that would otherwise disqualify a person from employment or continued employment shall remain in full force and effect.
10. No more than five (5) traffic violations in the past five (5) years (does not include parking tickets).
11. No active use of marijuana. No illegal/unlawful use of other drugs within the past two (2) years.
12. Permanently disqualified from employment if ever engaged in the sale, dealing, or manufacture of controlled substances.
13. May not have a conviction* for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs in the past two (2) years and no more than one (1) conviction* in a lifetime.
14. Must provide proof of registration for selective service (applicable under Federal law to males under the age of 26 years of age).
15. Pass a post-offer of employment medical examination (including vision and hearing exams), drug screen, and psychological interview.
16. Pass a post-offer of employment background investigation, which includes: fingerprinting; photographing; criminal records checks; interviews with family, references, neighbors and past and present employers; credit history check and a lie detector examination.
17. Meet and successfully pass all academic, practical, physical training and retention requirements of the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office and the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board.
18. Possess the skills, knowledge and abilities required of the position for which you applied, which includes, but is not limited to, a positive attitude, good communication skills, respect for the law, respect for your fellow citizens and respect for your colleagues.
Note: Where indicated with an “*”, the term “conviction” shall include the amendment of a criminal charge (driving under the influence-DUI, etc.) to some other offense as a result of the completion of any type of deferral program.